Are you the Dean of one of KI's departmental groups? Apply for the position no later than 25 October
As of January, next year, a new term of office for KI's Deans will begin. Deans have a line assignment and are appointed by the President. The role is undergoing change and development - an important task for the new Deans will be to participate in this process. As a Dean, you are part of the Faculty Board. It is the university management's intention to clarify the Dean's assignment in KI's line organization.
The role of the Dean
The Dean is subordinate to the President and represents the university management and his/her department group. The Dean shall take part in and be responsible for implementing the management's decisions together with the Heads of the department group. At the same time, the Dean must represent the needs of the department group in dialog with the university management and the Faculty Board. The assignment includes taking responsibility for management, organization, development and follow-up of the activities within the department group. Furthermore, the assignment entails creating stimulating and competitive environments for education, research and collaboration that can attract outstanding teachers and researchers as well as administrative staff.
In other respects, the Dean:
- leads and coordinates the departments' work with operational planning and follow-up as well as competence supply,
- ensures that the faculty board's decisions, as well as other university-wide decisions, are implemented in the department through the head of department's operational responsibility,
- is responsible for coordination and streamlining within the department group and in its interface with the region, industry and international actors,
- coordinates collaboration with industry, research funders, foundations and other higher education institutions,
- leads the work on head of department recruitment and submits proposals to the Vice-Chancellor for decision, and
- coordinates initiatives within the departmental group for the recruitment of academic positions.
What else is included in the dean's assignment is stated in the current decision-making and delegation rules.
Scope of the assignment and remuneration
The assignment is for five years with start in January 2024. The full-time scope of the assignment is regulated in the assignment dialogue with the President. Remuneration for the assignment is paid in accordance with regulations on remuneration for specific positions at KI.
Qualified for the position of Dean is employed Professors at KI. Experience as a Head of Department or equivalent management position is preferable.
Furthermore, the Dean must have:
- scientific and pedagogical competence to develop the activities,
- strong roots in the scientific community and networks within the academy and, where applicable, Region Stockholm,
- solid experience of senior leadership in the Faculty of Medicine,
- ability to set goals, implement decisions and changes,
- good communication skills that provide motivation and commitment,
- ability and motivation to successfully collaborate with internal and external partners and stakeholders,
- ability to develop a living foundation for ethics and quality within the departmental group and the university as a whole, and
- otherwise live up to the criteria in the guidelines for leadership at KI.
A prerequisite for the assignment as Dean is good knowledge of the Swedish language.
Expression of interest
Expressions of interest with explanation of interest for the assignment and relevant skills and experience as well as a CV (max. 4 A4 pages) must be submitted by 25 October, 2023 by e-mail to HR Director Johanna Bäckström, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The recruitment process
The President leads the recruitment process in consultation with the Vice President and the University Director. After the application period has expired, the applications are prepared with the Heads of Department in the relevant department group. After consultation, the President decides on the final candidates. In all proposals for candidates, particular attention is paid to gender equality.
Questions about the assignment and the process can be addressed to:
University Director Veronika Sundström, email@example.com
HR Director Johanna Bäckström, firstname.lastname@example.org