Published: 2019-11-19 13:16 | Updated: 2019-11-19 13:20
Changes regarding half-time review for doctoral students
The changes are applicable from 1 January 2020.
The Committee for doctoral education has revised the half-time review and decided on the following changes, starting from 1 January 2020:
- More focus on the learning aspect of scientific writing: The doctoral student shall before the half-time review upload their literature review in the anti-plagiarism tool iThenticate, and on the basis of the resulting report discuss scientific writing with their supervisor.
- The half-time committee shall, beside a joint discussion, hold separate meetings with the student as well as with the supervisor(s) in order to hear their personal views on their mutual collaboration.
- It will be mandatory that at least one member of the half-time committee come from outside the department of the doctoral student (this is already practice in many departments).
- The content of the follow-up meeting after the seminar will be more structured and clearer. This will be visible in the transcript, in the rules and in the information to the half-time committee.
- There will be a template available for the doctoral student when writing the half-time report (please note that the half-time summary changes name to half-time report)
- From mid-December the web page Half-time review will be updated to match the new routines. The revised form, instructions to the half-time committee and the half-time report template will be found there.
- The half-time review should be done when the doctoral student is half-way through the education, and the timing is important!
- Be aware that there are no requirements, neither now or later, to have completed any papers or manuscripts before the half-time review! Instead it can be extra useful with a half-time feed-back if the project for any reason has been delayed.