Lectures and seminars CfA seminar: Personalised biomarker-driven management of asthma in pregnancy and its influence on childhood respiratory health
Speaker: Dr. Vanessa Murphy, University of Newcastle and the Hunter Medical Research Institute, Newcastle, Australia.
Coffee and tea served 15:30. Welcome!
Hosts: Bronwyn Haasdyk Brew and Catarina Almqvist Malmrös.
About the speaker
Dr Vanessa Murphy is a Research Fellow from the University of Newcastle and the Hunter Medical Research Institute, Australia. She is a research scientist investigating asthma exacerbations during pregnancy, and their health impact on both the mother and baby.
She is currently conducting a multi-centre randomised controlled trial, known as the Breathing for Life Trial, investigating inflammation-based management of asthma during pregnancy, to determine its effectiveness in improving perinatal outcomes, as well as its longer-term potential as a primary prevention strategy for childhood asthma.
The trial brings together a multi-disciplinary team from Respiratory Medicine, Obstetrics, Neonatology, Midwifery, Paediatrics, Dietetics, Psychology and Health Economics.
Her research goal is to generate the evidence required to change clinical practice in the area of asthma management in pregnancy.
1. Murphy VE, Namazy JA, Powell H, Schatz M, Chambers C, Attia J, Gibson PG. A meta-analysis of adverse perinatal outcomes in women with asthma. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2011; 118(11):1314-23.
2. Powell H, Murphy VE, DR Taylor, MJ Hensley, K McCaffery, W Giles, VL Clifton, PG Gibson. Management of asthma in pregnancy guided by measurement of fraction of exhaled nitric oxide: a double-blind, randomized controlled trial. Lancet 2011, 378: 983-990.
3. Mattes J, Murphy VE, Powell H, Gibson PG. Prenatal origins of respiratory infections: Protective effect of optimised asthma management during pregnancy. Thorax, 2014; 69(4): 383-4.
4. Morten M, Collison A, Murphy VE, Barker D, Oldmeadow C, Attia J, Meredith J, Powell H, Robinson PD, Sly PD, Gibson PG, Mattes J. Managing Asthma in Pregnancy (MAP) trial: FeNO levels and childhood asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2018. 142(6):1765-1772.
5. Murphy VE, Jensen ME, Robijn AL, Wright TK, Mattes J, Collison A, Gibson PG. How maternal BMI modifies the impact of personalised asthma management in pregnancy. Accepted by JACI In Practice 21/6/2019.