Annika Bergquist - Adjunct Professor in Gastroenterology and Hepatology
In November 2013, Anna Bergquist was appointed Adjunct Professor in Gastroenterology and Hepatology.
Congratulations to the professorship! What does this mean for you?
- It really means a lot. It is a reward for all the hard work done over the years.
How long have you been at Karolinska Huddinge?
- I started 1993 as a junior doctor at medical Gastro.
What is your research about?
- My research deals with chronic liver disease, Primary sclerosing cholangitis. I have devoted myself to this group of patients both in the clinic and in research. The overall aim is to increase our understanding of why people get the disease, why it is linked with such high risk of getting cancer, how to prevent progression of the disease, symptoms and cancer development.
How will you use your professorship - what are your plans?
- I will continue in this direction. I already have a research group with several graduate students.
What are your other responsibilities in the scientific community?
- I'm part of the steering committee of Bengt Ihre research fellowship in various national and international networks for hepatology research, for example Swedish internal medicine liver club (SILK,) and International PSC study group IPSCSG.
When did you realize you wanted to become a scientist?
- I realized I wanted to be a researcher when I started as a doctor at Karolinska. The academic environment of the clinic is excellent - it's characterised by curiosity and ambition. So, it was natural to start researching.